Thursday, July 4, 2019

Hall Leaves Taylor Tennis Legacy

tcrow@taylorisd.org    Vicki Simcik Hall has been putting Taylor tennis on the map for a very long time. In high school she was a championship player for Coach Larry Safarik. She returned a few years later as a teacher and coach, ultimately taking over the head tennis coaching duties.

The winning tradition continued during her tenure, and can be seen in the long row of championship signs posted on the fence at the Larry Safarik Tennis Center at Taylor High School.


“About five years into my career, Wayne Schroeder, the athletic director at the time, asked me if I would like the head tennis job,” Hall said. “I was pregnant with my first child and said, ‘No, I just don’t think I can do that at this point’. Two years later I was approached again, and at that time I was expecting my second child. The third time I decided I better take it because they may not ask me again.”

Hall’s career in Taylor ISD began in 1982. Hired by interim superintendent, Jack Rambo, she began teaching physical education at Taylor Middle School along with Safarik and Joan Bunte. 

“I was graduating from the University of Texas and I got a call from Coach Safarik, who had been my coach,” Hall said. “He said Shari Busby was retiring and to go try for that job. One thing led to another and here I am.” 

During her years at Taylor Middle School, Hall also taught quest (skills for adolescence), math, Texas history and science and coached volleyball, basketball and track.

“I think I taught everything except for English,” Hall said. “I started coaching high school tennis in 1994 while still teaching at the middle school, then moved to high school in 2002.” 

Hall’s best coaching memories include competing with bigger schools, and winning over them to advance to the next level. 

“My first year in team tennis we were still with the big schools,” Hall said. “We beat Waco Midway to go to regional and that was pretty exciting. All my going to state was so exciting.” 

Hall recalls her team going to state at least 12 times, and coming close to a state championship. 

“The closest was my daughter and Leann Carlson in 2002,” Hall said. “They made it all the way to the state finals.”

As a student, Hall brought home the 3A state doubles championship in 1976 under Safarik, a tough mentor whose influence ultimately helped shape Hall’s own coaching style. 

“It was the state meet in Austin, Texas,” Hall recalled. “I was playing with Janice West in the finals against Kerrville Tivey. During the first set, something happened. I went for the ball and fell. My racquet went flying across the court and my knee got all bloody. Coach Safarik came onto the court and didn’t ask, ‘Are you ok?’ He asked, ‘What’s wrong with you? Go get your racquet!’ We did win the championship for him that year and it was a memory I will never forget.”

Hall describes coming back to her hometown to coach alongside her mentor as both exciting and scary. 

“I didn’t want to do anything wrong,” she said. “Coach Safarik has been my tennis mentor from day one.” 

According to her former students, Hall has carried on that tradition as well, serving as an important mentor for them. 

“Coach Hall expected greatness from her players, and she knew exactly how to help them get there,” said Morgan Richter. “Practices were always extremely intense and she had an amazing ability to coach you through really hard matches and get you through to the other side. But her ultimate success came from the way that she deeply cared for each and every one of her players. The way that she invested in each and every player set her apart from any coach I have ever had.” 

Andrew Randig said, “She was never easy on people and was constantly pushing you to be the best athletic version of yourself. She taught us never to let your emotions take control of you and you can always be as good as your opponent if you play with heart.”

Randig also felt like Hall’s history as a tennis player helped make her a tough and effective coach. 

“Most high school tennis coaches had either never touched a racquet or have never felt the pressure of a state championship on their shoulders, but Coach Hall has,” Randig said. “She can relate to a player’s frustrations and fatigue, and that’s why I believe she was such a successful coach.” 



Before every team tennis match, Hall huddled-up with her athletes. They put their hands together and shouted the team motto, “Do Work!” They have done a lot of great work over the years, but along with all the successes, Hall has also met some serious challenges. In 2002, she found out she had cancer. 

“Those were some tough years, but I never stopped,” she said. “I went to chemo and then went back to practice. I persevered and came out on top and the rest is history. 




Through the years, Hall has coached families, including sister teams and brother and sister teams. She also watched the program grow from the courts in the park to the tennis center at Taylor High School. 

“The tennis courts were the first athletic anything out here,” Hall said. “It was so fun to see them go from the ground up. I was in the park for 20 years and I have to give the city a shout-out because whenever I needed anything they were there for me. Maintenance is always here for me now.” 

Now that she is retiring, Hall plans to focus on other priorities while keeping in touch with Duck sports. 

“At first I plan to do nothing but just chill. Then I want to do some traveling and we are going to redo our house. I also have four grandchildren and one on the way. I’ll stay away from tennis for a while to let them grow and get used to the new person, but I don’t want to just completely cut it off. I’ve been a volleyball scorekeeper, basketball keeper and I’ll probably continue to do that.” 

When asked about the championship signs that line the fence at the tennis center, Hall said they represent so many memories, hours and hours of dedication, sad times and happy times. 

“I want to thank Shelly Cobb, my boss and my friend,” Hall said. She has always been there. I also want to thank all my family, my school family and my tennis family for letting me do what I love for thirty-six years.”