Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Top Reader Awarded Degree


tcrow@taylorisd.org 

Sherry Zheng loves to read. She finishes two chapter books each day and often supplements reading material from school with regular trips to the Taylor Public Library. Her current selections include books about space, although she enjoys all genres. Her all-time favorite story is The BFG by Roald Dahl.


Now the Naomi Pasemann third grader has received her school’s highest literary honor, a PhD in reading as part of the Reader In Me initiative. Students initially work toward earning an Associate’s Degree, followed by a Bachelor’s Degree, then a Master’s Degree and finally a PhD. Zheng is the first student at Pasemann this year to receive the distinguished recognition of a PhD.

“I had to read seventy books on my level,” said Zheng. “All kinds of books because (Pasemann principal) Mrs. Patschke wanted us to know different kinds of genres. I had to pass a Reading Counts test and get eighty or higher.”

Her teacher, Julie Snyder, said she is very proud of her top reader.

“I am so excited for Sherry,” said Snyder. “She is great at all of her subjects, but she really cares about reading. She has a passion and she does voracious reading all the time.”

Zheng says she loves a great story.

“I love the story because they are fun and interesting,” she said. “Some are mysteries and I like to learn about the surprise.”

As part of the recognition for her accomplishment, Zheng moved her college pennant to the PhD section of the Reader In Me board in the main corridor. She was also presented with a t-shirt from the college of her choice.

“I wanted Texas State Bobcats,” she commented when asked about her future plans. “I want to be a doctor when I grow up.”

Zheng said her goal now is to read higher books, like the ones her brother reads in middle school, and to focus on science books.

“I think Sherry is a great role model for reading,” Snyder said. “She encourages everyone to grow as a reader.”