Wednesday, February 8, 2017

TV, Radio Pioneer Visits Taylor High School

tcrow@taylorisd.org 

Anyone who lived in Austin in the late 1960s and 1970s will most likely remember Carolyn Jackson. After graduating from Taylor High School in 1944, Jackson went on to receive a broadcasting degree from the University of Texas and quickly became one of the most popular TV and Radio hosts in central Texas.

On Wednesday, January 18th, Jackson returned to her hometown high school to be interviewed by students in Jay Reed’s English class. Reed said the idea came from a presentation about famous people from Taylor that he saw as part of an orientation for new teachers.

“I wanted to give my students an understanding of the successful people who have come out of Taylor,” said Reed. “I wanted to inspire them to try and be great, and my hope was that they would say, ‘If they can do it, then I can do it.’”

Students worked in small groups, choosing a local legend and researching that person for a report that was then presented to the class.

Sarah Hyzak chose Carolyn Jackson. She was so impressed with what she learned about Jackson that she invited the TV and radio pioneer to participate in an interview in front of the class.  

“I admire Mrs. Jackson for breaking into broadcasting in a time when she was expected to be a housewife,” Hyzak said. “I hadn’t heard of her, so I thought it would be neat to learn about her. It was a cool experience to personally interview her.” 

As Jackson took her seat at the front of the room, she asked the class if they knew why she choose to wear green and white for the interview. Students immediately answered, commenting on Jackson’s local heritage.

“I’m wearing green and white because I am a Taylor Duck,” she confirmed. “I was born here and I am a fourth generation Taylorite.”

Best known as the host of her own TV show, The Carolyn Jackson Show, Austin viewers chose Jackson as their favorite TV host. She was originally hired as host for Woman’s World, which later became The Carolyn Jackson Show.

Jackson interviewed many popular celebrities during her career including Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Richard Pryor, Bill Murray, Sally Field and Bob Hope.”

Reed said Jackson’s visit was a great asset in accomplishing his goals for the project.

“Having her here made my students step up their game,” he said. “They took the presentation very seriously and gave me some of their best work.”

As each group made their presentation during the week, Reed said his favorite comments from students included, “I didn’t know they were from Taylor,” and “That’s so cool they are from Taylor.”

Now he hopes this project might encourage other teachers to do something similar.


“Knowing about the greatness that has come from Taylor can inspire community and school spirit,” he said.