Saturday, June 17, 2017

Science Teacher Retires

tcrow@taylorisd.org 

During Diana Rucker’s twenty-seven year career in Taylor ISD, she has served as a middle school teacher, a high school coach, and the co-director of a program for families of children from birth to pre-k. Of all the roles she has held in the district, most will likely remember her from the years she taught science at Taylor Middle School.

“Eddy Spiller hired me to coach basketball and volleyball at the high school,” she recalled. “I also taught sixth and eighth grade science at the middle school. Then when Jane Stover retired, I took over seventh grade science and did that full time.”

Rucker quit teaching for a while to finish her Master’s degree in health. Then with a background in both teaching and health, she began working for the local hospital in community health and education. She returned to the school district in 1993 to help with a new program called Even Start.

“I was co-director with Scholley Bubenik,” Rucker said. “We worked with parents of children from birth until school age. We taught parent education in the evenings, and we had parents who would come in during the day for adult education.”

When she returned to the classroom, Rucker taught eighth grade science where she remained until her retirement. It’s a role she says she enjoyed, especially the days spent in the science lab.

“I enjoyed the labs the most,” she said. “Watching the kids go off on their own, following directions and working together in teams. Watching them make discoveries on their own is the best part.”

Rucker says her students also enjoyed the labs. Favorites included chemical reactions, making slime and one about the Law of Conservation that involved popcorn. 

“They love the popcorn lab. I’m surprised how many had never seen popcorn pop before. And of course, they got to eat it and that’s the highlight of any middle school student’s day is getting to eat.”

When she taught seventh grade, dissecting frogs was often the favorite lab.

“They all talked a big game of how they were going to dissect this frog and they couldn’t wait. Then when we went to the lab, the girls were all into it and the boys were the ones going, ‘I’m not touching that’.”

Rucker said one of the reasons she has enjoyed teaching so much is because her students were so well behaved.

“If you train them right and you have high expectations and you vocalize those expectations, the days go beautifully,” she said. “I very, very seldom have any trouble with students’ behavior in the lab. I think they are so excited about being there. I think they know what I expect and they rise to the occasion.”

Rucker said leaving colleagues who have become good friends will be the hardest part of retiring.

“These are the most wonderful people,” she said. “I have great friends here. We have lived in Taylor for 32 years. We came here thinking it was going to be one or two years and we were moving on, and we stayed.”

With a total of twenty-eight years in education, Rucker now plans to spend more time with family and pursue other opportunities.

“I’m looking forward to being more accessible to my children,” she said. “I have a granddaughter in Fort Worth. I also want to explore new options, maybe working on a junior college campus. I have a Master’s degree in health, so something in that area.”